I chose to simplify a power socket overloaded with too many power plugs. It is not unusual to see students bringing their own portable multi-plugs in order to share a single plug for project sessions, etc. everywhere on campus where there are plugs. Overloaded plugs are fire hazards; therefore, student should be warned about this potential danger. Here's my abstraction process:

1st to 2nd step: converted from photo to drawing (no abstraction).
2nd to 3rd step: removal of words and some white lines.
3rd to 4th step: from 3D to 2D, removal of all white lines and simplification of top plug.
4th to 5th step: removal of connectors between wire and plug
5th to 6th step: further simplification of top plug, spacing between plug and wires added; slant lines used for wires instead of straight lines, as slant lines give the impression of continuing length, according to Ms Chiang's pdf reading in pictograms.
The 6th step looked the best to me, so I used it for my final prototype (see below). I propose that this sign be placed above aall power sockets in NUS, with the aim to warn students about the dangers of overloading them.
I added the flame for obvious reasons - overloaded power sockets could result in fires - also, I chose red as the only one other colour other than black and white because red is the universal symbolic colour for danger (and fire as well). I combined both pictorial and textual elements in my prototype because some people's brains process textual information more quickly than pictorial information; hence, the effectiveness of the pictogram's message is enhanced.
No comments:
Post a Comment